Thursday, May 6, 2010

IIS SITE_2 and SharePoint 2010

I had SharePoint 2010 Beta2 installed on a single virtual machine and decided to remove to to install SharePoint 2010 RTM version. So, I followed the following steps to remove SharePoint Beta 2:


1. Ran the configuration wizard and disconnected from the farm.
2. Uninstalled SharePoint from Control Panel
3. Uninstalled the SharePoint 2010 Beta prerequisites software.
4. Rebooted the machine.

After removing/uninstalling SharePoint 2010 Beta2, I went ahead and installed SharePoint 2010 RTM and after the SharePoint Configuration Wizard Completed successfully, I launched Central Administration site and to my surprise the icons looked strange, it looked like a combination of Beta and RTM.

Here is a screen shot of the ribbon after SharePoint 2010 RTM installation:




Here is a screen shot of the ribbon from a machine that DID NOT have SharePoint Beta previously installed:






So, I disconnected from the farm and looked at IIS and found the following:





There is SITE_2. However, if you click on it from the left pane you get the following error:


In order to remove it you need to click on Sites on the left pane and then click on SITE_2 to highlight it and then right click on it and select Remove or click on Remove from the right pane:

After removing SITE_2, I ran the configuration wizard one more time and created a new farm and got the same issue. So, I went to control panel and repaired my installtion and that worked for me.

I cannot say for sure that SITE_2 was the culprit, but I have learned my lesson by checking IIS to see if there are any leftover from previous SharePoint installation.

7 comments:

  1. sharepoint is a web based collaborative platform.it is basically an intranet and content management system.you can get more information at sharepoint online training.Read More At sharepoint online training hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    Digital Marketing Training in Chennai

    Digital Marketing Course in Chennai


    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Post! Thank you so much for sharing this pretty post, it was so good to read and useful to improve my knowledge as updated one, keep blogging.

    python Training in chennai

    python Course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Post! Thank you so much for sharing this pretty post, it was so good to read and useful to improve my knowledge as updated one, keep blogging.

    python Training in chennai

    python Course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am inspired with your post writing style & how continuously you describe this topic.I want to share about Signova Group

    ReplyDelete